The only time a 190-lb. burger, ketchup slide and the world’s largest hamburger parade is in one place is at the annual Burger Fest in Seymour, Wisconsin, the Home of the Hamburger. This year marks the 29th Annual Burger Fest taking place Saturday, August 12. Happening the same weekend is the 17th Annual Burger Fest Hot Air Balloon Rally which features breathtaking hot air balloon glows and ascensions.
“Way back in 1885, Charlie Nagreen created the delicious burger at the Seymour Fair, making the city the official Home of the Hamburger,” explained Steve Kemp, president of the Home of the Hamburger board which hosts Burger Fest. “For the past 29 years, Seymour has been celebrating the burger every year with this festival.”
Burger Fest is volunteer-run and raises money for scholarships and community projects in Seymour. “While Seymour may be a small town, Burger Fest gets visitors from all over the world each year,” said Kemp. “Between the Bun Run, the burger eating contest, the children’s inflatables and all the other activities, there really is something for everyone at this festival!”
Burger Fest 29th Annual Festival: Saturday, August 12 on Depot St. and at downtown Seymour:
• 8 a.m. — Get your “buns” to Lake Park for the 5K Bun Run. Kids race will start at 10:45 a.m.
• 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. — Car lovers can peruse the antique car show.
• 11 a.m. — Save your spot for the World’s Largest Hamburger Parade including local bands and the Seymour Lions Club annual 100-mile motorcycle charity ride.
• 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. — Take a bite out of these snacks: burgers, french fries, hot dogs, cheese curds, and refresh yourself till 8 p.m. with some beverages: beer, soda and water.
• 12 – 4:30 p.m. – Have a blast with children’s activities including multiple inflatables for children of all ages.
• 12 – 5 p.m. — Check out the Model Railroad Display and Seymour Community Museum included with your Burger Fest entrance fee.
• 12 – 6 p.m. — Listen and dance to live music on Depot Street by high school bands from Seymour, Pulaski and Freedom (12 – 1 p.m.), the famous Echoes of Camp Randall band formerly known as UW Marching Band (1:30 – 2 p.m.) and Six String Crossing (2 – 6 p.m.)
• 2 p.m. – Get your fill at the Hamburger Eating Contest.
• 3 p.m. – Behold the giant 190 lb. cheeseburger, grilled and served to Burger Fest guests on a first come, first served basis. Monetary donations will go to the Seymour Food Pantry.
• 4:30 p.m. – Witness and maybe even take a dip at the Ketchup Slide Competition.
Burger Fest 17th Annual Hot Air Balloon Rally: Friday-Saturday, August 11-12.
Friday, August 11 at Rock Ledge School and Park:
• 4 – 9 p.m. – Kid’s events
• 4 – 9 p.m. – Burgers, french fries, hot dogs, cheese curds, soda and water served.
• 6 p.m. – The hot air balloons will take flight (weather permitting).
• 8 p.m. – Take in the sights of the beautiful hot air balloon glow at dusk!
Saturday, August 12 at Rock Ledge School and Park:
• 6 a.m.- Hot air balloon ascension.
• 5 – 9 p.m. – Burgers, french fries, hot dogs, cheese curds, soda and water.
• 6 p.m. – Hot air balloons ascension.
• 8 p.m. – Hot air balloon glow at dusk.
Entry forms for the parade, car show, Bun Run, Motorcycle Charity Ride and additional information can be found at www.homeofthehamburger.org and www.homeofthehamburger.org/Press.
Seymour is located 15 miles west of Green Bay on Highway 54. Admission wristbands, available at select Seymour businesses, are $3 in advance and $5 at the gate; children 12 and under are free with paid adult admission. There is no admission cost for hot air balloon rally events. For more information, call the hamburger hotline at (920) 833-6688.