Soccer splits pair of matches

Seymour 4
Waupaca 2
On Thursday, September 7, the Seymour Thunder boys soccer team hosted the Waupaca Comets for a non-conference match up.
08828sey-SoccerGoal copy

Garrett Wendorff, No. 7, watches the ball after his kick attempt gets by the Waupaca goalkeeper on Thursday, September 7. - Photo by Keith Skenandore

Garrett Wendorff, No. 7, watches the ball after his kick attempt gets by the Waupaca goalkeeper on Thursday, September 7. – Photo by Keith Skenandore

It was a great game for the Thunder as they struck early. At nine minutes, Keven Sosa-Lassila sent a corner into the box which was settled by junior Reid Johnson and finished by sophomore Rhett Dreisen.Dreisen then scored again at 14 minutes when sophomore Garrett Wendorff played a through ball to Dreisen who turned it into a fast break attack and ultimately a goal for the Thunder.
Before the half ended, at 36 minutes, sophomore Sosa-Lassila sent a through ball to Wendorff who finished the ball in the lower left corner for a goal. Just before the half ended, the Comet’s Keenin Polebitski sent a cross into the box that slipped its way into the goal, bringing the score at halftime to 3-1.
The Comets scored again at 69 minutes when Jack Snider passed to Keagan Turrubiates who slotted the ball past the goalkeeper, bringing the score to 3-2 with the Thunder leading.
Seymour’s Rhett Dreisen locked in the win and a hat trick at 71 minutes when Sosa-Lassila slotted a ball through the defense, and Dreisen gained a fast break attack for a goal.
The Thunder earned themselves a 4-2 win to end the match. Goalkeeper Evan Schluenz ended the game with 8 saves the Thunder took 12 shots on goal.
Seymour 3
New London 4
The soccer team traveled to the stadium of the New London Bulldogs to play a conference match on Tuesday, September 5.
The game was a constant neck-and-neck match with scoring throughout the game. The Bulldogs came out with the first goal at 14 minutes when Tucker Huebner sent a long shot sailing under the crossbar.
Shortly after at 30 minutes, the Thunder came back when Dreisen was fouled inside the 18 yard box and sunk his penalty kick into the lower left corner, tying up the match for the Thunder. Both teams entered into the second half with a 1-1 tie.
New London regained momentum at 53 minutes when Jason Sanderfoot rolled the ball into the lower left corner for the Bulldog’s second goal of the match.
Then at 66 minutes Sosa-Lassila sent a beautiful through ball through the defense, which lead Dreisen into a fast break attack and a goal.
The Bulldogs were hungry to keep scoring as were the Thunder and at 71 minutes Sanderfoot followed a ball dropped by Seymour’s goalkeeper for a goal. Dreisen was desperate for another goal and at 80 minutes he dribbled through the defense and placed the ball into the back of the net. This was the Thunder’s third goal and a hat trick for the talented sophomore.
Just as the Thunder had tied up the match, Sanderfoot broke through the defense at 83 minutes and scored on a 1-on-1 opportunity with the goalkeeper. The match ended with this 4-3 close score.
Senior goalkeeper Evan Schluenz ended the game with six saves and the Thunder ended with 10 shots on goal.