Gas leak causes some Seymour residents to evacuate their homes

A gas leak was reported on the 600 block of West Factory Street, Seymour, on June 25 at about 8:30 a.m. About 15 people from homes were evacuated from the area while the gas leak was fixed. – Submitted photo

By Sara Tischauser
Editor

On the morning of Tuesday, June 25 there was a report of a gas leak in Seymour.
“At around 8:30 a.m. this morning utility contractors that were working in the 600 block of West Factory Street severed a natural gas service line,” said Brett Stauber, Seymour Police Department officer and public information officer. “They immediately called WE Energies and 911.”
This led to the evacuation of some residents in the area of the gas leak.
“Our department assisted the fire department to evacuate approximately 15 people from homes and an apartment building in the immediate area of the leak,” Stauber said. “The nearby Shepherd’s Inn Nursing Home was asked to ‘Shelter In-Place’ by the fire chief.”
The problem was dealt with right away so everyone could return safely to their homes.
“WE Energies arrived and fixed the leak within an hour, and the residents impacted were allowed to return to their homes and the shelter in place order was lifted,” Stauber said. “Besides the Seymour Police and Fire Departments, the Outagamie County Sheriff’s Department assisted at the scene.”